Vacancy: Food Curator
Posted onAug 23, 2017
TEDxPerth are currently looking for a Food Curator to join our team.
TEDxPerth is a not-for-profit organisation with the driving mission of helping great ideas spread. Our team consists entirely of passionate and hard-working volunteers who believe that great ideas can change the world. After the success of the previous years at TEDxPerth, we are now gearing up for a great 2017 event, set to take place on 11th Nov 2017 at the Perth Concert Hall.
You are a very organised person with a passion for food with a meticulous attention to detail. You are passionate about food and have given a lot of thought to the delivery, sustainability and to audience experiences around food.
You are comfortable with working with external stakeholders, as well as working with towards TEDxPerth’s objectives other team leaders. You are also highly comfortable in dealing with and managing uncertainty.
Finally, you are passionate about the ideals and mission of TED and TEDxPerth.
About the role
This is a voluntary position for a highly organised person with strong passion for food. The role is responsible for the curation of food and working closely with a caterer to align the food component of the event with the values and vision of the organisation.
You will be able to commit 4 to 6 hours per week in total, spread throughout the week between now and late September and 6-10 hrs per week between October to November. As the lead for the TEDxPerth Food Curation, you will be responsible for the curation of the main event, the morning breakfast, the after party and any launches to do with TEDxPerth. The Food Curator will also be required to attend fortnightly and weekly TEDxPerth team meetings (which may last 1 – 2 hours). Meetings are held on Monday evenings after hours. You may also need to arrange meetings with your team / direct reports as required.
This is an excellent opportunity to connect and work with leading young professionals from a range of backgrounds (including commercial, marketing, entrepreneurship and academia), for a globally recognised brand. Further, you will be working on a project aiming to deliver an event of world-class standard that is unique to Perth’s cultural events calendar.
- Lead, manage and co-ordinate the curation of the food menu and its presentation for TEDxPerth. Liaise closely with caterers and the production team to ensure the food is prepared and presented along the lines of your vision. Encourage and embrace the presentation of ideas to the audience through the medium of food.
- Work with the team to identify and document all detailed tasks that need to be done to make the food aspect of TEDxPerth happen
- Agree timing/deadlines for things to happen with the various teams and follow-up to ensure tasks are done on time
- The role may also require some ‘heavy lifting’ (e.g. contacting vendors, liaising with venue partner) to get things done
- On the event day, be available to co-ordinate and manage the team to carry out aspects of the event outside the theatre and deal with any on-the-day issues that may come up.
- Prior experience as a food writer, caterer or as an organiser of food related events highly valued
- Ability to work well with a number of stakeholders to get the best result for the organisation
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good time management, organisational and planning skills, with some degree of flexibility during working hours
- Able to monitor and respond to emails/calls during business hours
How to apply?
If you believe you have the necessary skills and experiences to be our Food Curator, please apply via email.
Send through your resume and brief answers to the questions below (no more than 1 page) to email@example.com.
- Why do you want to join the TEDxPerth team?
- What makes you be perfect for the role?
- What kind of food experience would you like to curate for TEDxPerth and why
- What are your favourite things in Perth right now?
- Do you have 6-10hrs per week spare to work on TEDxPerth from now until mid November?
Closing date: Sunday 3rd Sept 11:59pm